Wednesday 19 September 2007

Our House

Is the one with the green roof, in the centre of the cross-hairs. Arr.

That's a white Daihatsu Charade in the driveway, to give you an idea of the scale.

"I remember, I remember, the house where I was born."

But the place where we had a huge bonfire on November 5th, at the bottom of our garden, is now occupied by another building. Our huge garden is half the size it used to be. The fields where I used to watch the Fox Hunts racing through the morning mist, now a dormitory suburb housing 250,000 people.

Many years later, tired at last
I headed for home to look for my past
I looked for the meadows, there wasn't a trace
six lanes of highway had taken their place
where were the lilacs and all that they meant
nothing but acres of tar and cement.
Yet I can see it there so clearly now
where has it gone?
Yes I can see it there so clearly now
where has it gone?

No comments: