Sunday 18 June 2006

A Point of Etiquette

From the "Dear Abby" column of the Arizona Republic :
Jun. 16, 2006 12:00 AM

Dear Abby: I recently met a gorgeous woman I'll call "Giselle." After we had dated for a couple of months and became physically involved, she told me she had had gender reassignment surgery and used to be a man. I was, to say the least, shocked and deeply disturbed.

I did not punch out Giselle as I would have liked to, which brings me to my question. What is the etiquette regarding physically confronting someone like that? Is it the same as hitting a girl? We're roughly the same size.

- Distressed in Virginia

Dear Distressed: Because Giselle is now a female, it would, indeed, have been the same as hitting a girl, and I'm glad you restrained yourself. I have a feeling that she was probably more hurt that you stopped seeing her than any physical blow you might have inflicted. As to the "etiquette" regarding hitting her: If you hit someone of either gender, it's assault and battery or worse, and it's a crime that can land you in jail.
I'm thankful at that reply. I wish I could say that the letter was that unusual though. Here's a comparison from recent history:
Jun. 16, 1966 12:00 AM

Dear Abby: I recently met a gorgeous woman I'll call "Giselle." After we had dated for a couple of months and became physically involved, she told me she was passing for White. I was, to say the least, shocked and deeply disturbed.

I did not punch out Giselle as I would have liked to, which brings me to my question. What is the etiquette regarding physically confronting half-breeds like that? Is it the same as hitting a white girl? We're roughly the same size.

- Distressed in Virginia
No, 1966 is too late. 1956 or 1946, more like it.

Transsexual - the New Black.

No comments: